So, it took me a while to get back to this blog, 4 years, to be precise. Don't be fooled by the post below, it is an import that originally was posted on my parallel art blog.
This blog had almost died, caught between the evil of maintaining a parallel art blog and the greater evil of Facebook posts being the primary outlet due to the instant feedback mechanism.
It was quite a conscious decision to eliminate the other blog, the art one, and stop using social media for more than mere status and such.
The decision, however, came with its own challenges. More than what I had bargained for, definitely!
It took quite a roundabout route to get everything from Tumblr, where my art blog was, to here. Tumblr doesn't let you import to blogger! Why? Well, go figure. I had to do it through a Wordpress blog ( specifically created for this purpose) by importing Tumblr posts to Wordpress. Then export the posts from Wordpress as XML. But the fun doesn't stop there, Wordpress generates an XML which blogger does not read ( fun, innit? ). Thus, I had to go through a third party web plugin to generate a blogger compatible XML from the Wordpress XML and upload everything here.
Then I find out that Wordpress had not imported ALL my posts from Tumblr ( such excitement, I tell you ) and had to manually drag some posts here.
Now we had two more issues, first - images did not import from Wordpress and second - to maintain the original chronological order of the posts which did not import, and insert them in the correct timeline here, between the existing posts.
Once again, manual download and re-upload was resorted to for the first issue. For the second, I merged some of the posts, including creating collages of individual image uploads, into a single post which did get imported, to keep a close enough time stamp, and edited some of the posts to mention the time range
( hence, all pencil jam sketch posts merged into a single one mentioning date range of uploads ).
Now you'd think that I would let it rest there, but clearly my closet masochism thought otherwise !
Of course, I had to change my entire template and fiddle with the background. Which in turn led to many iterations for a reasonable blog width to fit my older posts, especially ones with images, and manually editing the image sizes and positions, and line breaks and widths of the accompanying text. All this, while manually rechecking every post after each layout modification. Legacy is a pain!
And that was that, and I think I have finally managed to migrate back ( ghar wapsi, if you will ).
If any of you notice anything wrong with a post layout do let me know ( to err is human and all that). In the meanwhile I shall prepare to get back to writing again..